Look, we have all been there, where we have 10 bucks and were tired of eating ramen. Even in my 28-year career as a chef, I have experienced it: 10 dollars, your beautiful partner, and nothing in the fridge. So the question now becomes, how do I make 10 dollars stretch for 2? In our next episode Michelle and I are going to walk you through the whole process 10 bucks 2 hungry people 1 dream. DINNER!
- 613g | 1.3 lbs Chicken Breast ($4.92)
- 34g | 1.1 oz Snow Peas (.40¢)(Can use String Beans only both same price in Hawaii)
- 56g | 2 oz String Beans (.70¢)
- 104g | 3.5oz White Mushrooms ($1.14)
- 420g | 14.7oz Sweet Potato ($1.78)
- 170g | 6oz Coconut Milk (.66¢)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar (any kind you wish)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (.02¢)
Free Ingredients (Herb Garden) https://youtu.be/v2IYsPjcfBc
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro
- 5 grape Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 cup | 237ml Chicken Stock https://youtu.be/ekQ9Sfl8tVM
- Preheat oven to 400°F | 204°C
- Start an Ice bath small bowl
- Blanch string beans in boiling salted water for 10 seconds use a strainer to remove and place in the ice bath
- Use the same blanching water pot to steam your sweet potatoes for 20 minutes (can boil if don’t have a steam basket)
- Chicken stock in a small pot bring to a boil and reduce heat to a soft simmer reduce liquid by half for rich flavor
- Season Chicken breast salt and pepper add oil in hot saute pan skin side down sear both sides and place in oven skin side down for 5 minutes
- Clean all vegetables pull string bean ends, quarter mushrooms
- Turn the chicken over and cook for another 5 minutes (juiciest result)
- In a small saucepot combine sugar and coconut milk stir while bringing up to a boil then turn off the heat let sit until sweet potatoes are soft.
- In a medium-size saute pan add oil saute mushroom for 1 minute then add string beans and grape tomatoes saute until your preferred softness (we like the string beans with crisp bite) 1 half minutes works for us.
- Turn oven off place chicken breast skin side down for a final resting time of 5-7 minutes
- Combine sweet potato and coconut milk smash with a fork
- Mix cornstarch with a splash of cold water add to the reduced chicken stock turn off heat finish with rough chopped cilantro and rosemary
- Build the dish to your specifications and Enjoy!
Watch the video here